|By Kevin Jackson||
|January 30, 2017 04:00 PM EST||
As the industry matures, cloud computing will increasingly rely on interoperability in order to grow and deliver more value to industry. Assuming this is a fact, what does it mean when eighteen major OpenStack vendors come together to work through the challenges involved with achieving enterprise interoperability? Events at the OpenStack Summit in Barcelona helped provide a window into the promise of tomorrow's interoperable environment.
Although you would expect this strategy would greatly simplify the integration challenge, contrarian views are out there. One of the most vocal is Boris Renski, co-founder of Mirantis and member of the OpenStack board of directors. He believes interoperability does not necessarily start at the IaaS layer. He believes that applications can be built to be interoperable across different infrastructure platform. Quoting his OpenStack Summit keynote:
"Even across Mirantis-powered OpenStack clouds like AT&T and the Volkswagen cloud, they are both based on the same distribution, but the underlying reference architectures are dramatically different...Volkswagen can't throw something at AT&T and it will just work."
In this post I'm happy to report though that the participating OpenStack cloud vendors were able to announce a successful completion of the interoperability challenge. While this success is clearly a baby step on the long and treacherous road to cloud interoperability, it is worth noting because this modest achievement also led to the creation of automated tools for the deployment of applications across a variety of OpenStack environments.The effort also generated significant collateral on cloud computing interoperability best practices and is expected to drive even further interoperability collaboration across the Openstack community.
This post was brought to you by IBM Global Technology Services. For more content like this, visit Point B and Beyond.
( Thank you. If you enjoyed this article, get free updates by email or RSS - © Copyright Kevin L. Jackson 2016)
- Should Data Centers Think? | @CloudExpo #Cloud #Agile #Analytics #DataCenter
- Both Sides of Enterprise Mobility | @CloudExpo #Cloud #Mobile #DigitalTransformation
- The Enterprise Network | @ThingsExpo #IoT #M2M #DigitalTransformation
- Quantum Computing Delivered from the Cloud | @CloudExpo #AI #ML #DL
- The BYOD Problem | @CloudExpo #Cloud #Mobile #Security
- Business Chatbots Taking Over | @CloudExpo #AI #ML #IoT #M2M #Cloud
- Cloud Computing Forensics Readiness | @CloudExpo #API #Cloud #Security
- Digital Transformation Driven by ITaaS | @CloudExpo #Cloud #ITaaS #DigitalTransformation
- IBM Interconnect 2017: Cloud, Cognitive and Data!
- Publishing Synergy: Blog, Twitter and Ulitzer
- Commercial vs Federal Cloud Computing
- Cloud Computing Debate: Booz Allen Hamilton Comments on Recent McKinsey & Co. Report
- An Interview with Federal CIO Nominee Vivek Kundra
- CIA's Jill Tummler Singer Newest Ulitzer Author
- Cloud Computing: The Dawn of Maneuver Warfare in IT Security
- Tactical Cloud Computing Panel at 1st Annual GovIT Expo
- GovIT Expo Highlights Cloud Computing
- Government IT & Cloud Computing: Themes for Discussion
- Cloud Computing in the Obama Administration